Helping College Athletes Give Back
While Universities across the U.S. often provide volunteer opportunities to their student athletes, they rarely offer the educational aspect that allows student athletes to learn how to be effective volunteers and what community causes might align with their passions. AFH created the AFH University program (AFH U) to address this need and provide guidance to college athletes throughout their philanthropic journey.
AFH U helps college athletes explore themes such as leadership, life skill development, advocacy, their role in the community, and how to discover their philanthropic passions through a series of facilitated workshops that mirror AFH’s Causeway workshop structure. AFH staff then works closely with each team to provide opportunities to engage in meaningful, impactful community work that align with the team’s passions.
AFH U provides University student-athletes with the opportunity to:
- Engage in meaningful, impactful community service
- Experience the benefits of engaging in student leadership and student self-governance
- Collaborate with student-athletes from other sports
- Increase their involvement with the rest of the University community and the local community
AFH U began at UVA in 2013, and since that time, has expanded to nine additional college campuses including: Ohio State University, Michigan State University, Louisiana State University, Southern University, University of Southern California, UCLA, Georgetown University, Tulane and Howard University.
Are you an athlete heading out to your next school visit and need some ideas of activities to do with the kids? Check out these great examples of grouping games, inclusion activities and more for your next school visit on our AFH Physical Activity Cheat Sheet or visit Nike’s helpful website HowToCoachKids.org.
Are you an AFH U alumni and want to connect after graduation? Looking for ways to do more service as an AFH Member athlete? Update your AFH U information using the contact link and we’ll get you connected to service!
We’d love to hear about your long-term service connections! Please take our short survey and let us know what you’ve done in your community after graduation.
AFH U Impact Snapshot
- 4800+ student athletes engaged in AFH U
- 105 sports teams from 12 universities trained through 132 educational workshops
- 16,400+ hours of volunteer time by AFH U student athletes
- 61 community partners from across many different causes
- 600+ community connections with over 10,000 children supported
- 90% of AFH U athletes reported that they felt empowered to do more volunteering after their AFH U experience
- 93% of AFH U athletes felt they had a strong positive impact through their volunteer efforts
- 94% were inspired after giving back to their community