What is Athletes for Hope?
- Athletes for Hope is a non-profit organization founded in 2007 by Andre Agassi, Muhammad Ali, Lance Armstrong, Warrick Dunn, Jeff Gordon, Mia Hamm, Tony Hawk, Andrea Jaeger, Jackie Joyner-Kersee, Mario Lemieux, Alonzo Mourning, and Cal Ripken, Jr. As athletes who share a deep commitment to giving back, our founders joined forces to create an organization that brings athletes together, to educate, inspire, and empower them to channel their energy for a common goal: to make a difference in the world. Read More
What cause does Athletes for Hope support?
- Athletes for Hope is cause neutral, meaning we do not support any one specific cause. Instead, we connect athletes with charities that represent a multitude of causes.
Can I apply for grants or funds for myself or my organization?
- No, we do not give grants or funding to any organizations or individuals. All funds raised go towards supporting our programming.
If I am not an athlete or do not work for a charity, how can I get involved with Athletes for Hope?
There are various ways that you can support Athletes for Hope and our mission:
- Sign up for our newsletter and share this with your friends
- Like us on Facebook
- Follow us on Twitter
- Through a donation
- Introduce us to a charity you support that you think could benefit from working with an athlete
- If you know a professional or Olympic athlete, encourage them to become an Athletes for Hope member
How can I make a donation to Athletes for Hope?
- To donate online, follow the PayPal link below (you do not need to have a PayPal account to donate).
- To mail a donation, please send a check made out to “Athletes for Hope” to:
Athletes for Hope
Athletes for Hope
7900 Tysons One Place, Suite 470,
Tysons Corner, VA 22102
Can I make a donation in honor of someone else?
- Yes, please send the name of the honoree along with the honoree’s mailing address (if you wish for them to receive notification of the gift) with your donation.
Whom can I contact if I have a question about my donation?
Is my donation to Athletes for Hope tax-deductible?
- Yes, Athletes for Hope is a 501 (c)(3) organization and a receipt acknowledging your gift and this information will be provided with every donation.
Professional & Olympic Athletes
I am a professional or Olympic athlete and would like to join Athletes for Hope.
- If you are a professional or Olympic athlete and would like to become a member, please fill out our athlete registration form.
Is there a cost associated with becoming a member of Athletes for Hope?
- No, there is no cost to the athlete to become a member or to use our services to be connected with charitable opportunities.
Will I be asked to donate money to the charities that I work with through Athletes for Hope?
- No, Athletes for Hope will never ask you to donate any money to our organization or the charities that you work with while a member. This is a personal decision and we believe that your time can be just as valuable as your money.
Do I have to be a famous athlete to become a member of Athletes for Hope?
- No, you do not have to be a famous athlete to become a member of Athletes for Hope. The only requirement is that you are a professional or Olympic athlete who is committed to making a difference in your community.
Can Athletes for Hope help me form a foundation?
- No, Athletes for Hope does not help athletes form foundations. However, we are in the process of developing a new program to help athletes decide if forming a foundation is right for them, learn about alternative options and understand how to make an existing foundation more effective. Please email us for additional information.
Requests To Work With Athletes For Hope Member Athletes
What is the first step for working with Athletes for Hope?
- If you are a 501(c)(3) registered organization that would like to work with us, please fill out our charity registration form.
Can Athletes for Hope find an athlete to volunteer with my charity?
- We have an extensive roster of professional and Olympic athletes that are located all over the country and we connect them with as many charitable opportunities as possible each year. Our ability to connect an athlete with your charity depends on many factors including the number of athletes located in your area, the date and time requested, the athlete’s personal passions and charitable interests and the athlete’s comfort with the request (ex. Some athletes love to do public speaking and others do not). If you are interested in connecting with an athlete, please fill out our charity registration form and include details of any upcoming opportunities.
Can I request a specific athlete for my charity?
- Yes, you can request a specific athlete with the exception of any of our Founders to attend your event. However, we cannot guarantee that any particular athlete will be available or interested in your opportunity. We may have other professional or Olympic athletes in your area that may be interested, which we will suggest to you. In most cases, the athletes are not superstars, but they are professional or Olympic athletes who are passionate about working in their communities.
How do your athletes work with charities?
- Our athletes work with charities in a variety of different ways. In the past, our athletes have held sports clinics with children, delivered food to the homeless, visited children’s hospitals, served as nonprofit board members, recorded public service announcements, attended fundraising events, etc. For some specific examples, please refer to our news and events.
What do you require if an athlete volunteers with my charity?
- We do not require or request any form of payment for interactions that we coordinate with our athletes. However, we do require that you are willing to talk with a staff member before and after each visit to ensure a great experience for you and the athlete. In addition, we require high-resolution photos of the connection as well as a short description of how the interaction went. You may also be asked to provide a quote discussing your work with us.
Can one of your Founders attend my event or donate to my cause?
- Our Founders’ philanthropic activities focus on their own foundation work, so they are unlikely to be available to attend your event or donate to your cause. However, we have an extensive roster of other professional and Olympic athletes who are available and eager to work with charities. If interested in one of these athletes, please fill out our
Can one of your Founders sign an autograph for me or my organization?
- We do not make requests for autographs or signed items from any of our Founders for individuals or groups.
How can my professional sports team participate in an Athletes for Hope education workshop?
- If you work for a professional sports team and are interested in having Athletes for Hope hold a workshop for your team, please call us at
Whom can I contact if I have additional questions regarding education workshops?
- You can call us at
- your question as well as visit the education workshop section of our site.
For all media inquiries please call 301-602-4902 or email us.